Gibárt hydropower plant
Renewables-based energy production
Site: 3854 Gibárt, Kossuth Lajos u. 16.
The village of Gibárt is located in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, next to the Hernád River, 58 km from its estuary. Here you can find the hydroelectric power plant designed in 1901, built in 1902 and put into operation in 1903.
The hydropower plant is the property of Northern Hungary Electricity Supply Plc (ÉMÁSZ). Based on the contracts concluded in 2004 by ÉMÁSZ Plc. and Sinergy Kft., which has been a member of the ALTEO Group since May 2015, the ALTEO Group currently participates in the operation of the hydropower plant as a tenant and operator.
In December 2020, ALTEO completed the 1 year-long refurbishment of the declared monument Hydropower Plant, which has been in operation for more than 100 years, to ensure its continued long-term, reliable, and economical operation.
The aim of the reconstruction works was also to increase the utilization of the available natural resources (the Hernád river). ALTEO Plc. renovated and modernized the power plant within the framework of an investment of HUF 1.2 billion, during which it replaced the previous technology with a more powerful and modern one and renovated the monumental building: the entire construction was carried out with preserving the monumental character of the original power plant.